I am working with a Lawyer client of mine to upgrade his LinkedIn profile and he wanted to take his profile offline while we worked on it and not reveal it until all the work was complete.
Advanced users of LinkedIn will already know that you can change your settings to do this, but what you might not know is that there are actually two versions of your LinkedIn Profile:
1. The one LinkedIn users can see when they are logged in to the site
2. A public version which is visible on Google & other search engines even if you are not logged in to LinkedIn or not a LinkedIn user. As you can imagine, there are not many of those around these days!
Unfortunately, you can’t make your public profile completely invisible as it has already been indexed by GOOGLE, so it will take some time, sometimes several weeks for any changes you make to take effect, but you can minimise what is visible to the public.
If you would like to do this too, then do the following:
1. Click on PROFILE in the top bar
2. Then click on EDIT PROFILE
3. Underneath your profile photo you will see your linked in URL. It looks something
like this: https://hk.LinkedIn.com/in/hongkongmarketingconsultant
4. Click on the GEAR ICON on the right hand side of the link or the link itself
5. Now, look on the right hand side of your screen at the ‘CUSTOMIZE YOUR
PUBLIC PROFILE’ section
6. First, untick all of the boxes such as ‘picture’, ‘headline’ etc.
7. Next, click on the ‘MAKE MY PUBLIC PROFILE VISIBLE TO NO ONE’ box
Hope you find this helpful!
LinkedIn Coach & Hong Kong Marketing Consultant
+852 9170 5575